Family Eye Doctor in TriCounty
Are you looking for a pediatric and family eye doctor in TriCounty? At CHDC, we provide residents from Boyertown to Pottstown, and everywhere in between, with comprehensive eye exams that include:
- A proper evaluation of your eyes and a review of any history of eye problems in your family.
- Evaluations of your near vision, and distance using an eye chart.
- Examination to find if there are any signs of astigmatism, farsightedness, nearsightedness, and presbyopia.
- Specialized testing to decide if progressive lenses or bifocals are necessary.
- Tests that determine your eyes ability to work in tandem.
- Examination of the optic nerve and eye pressure tests to rule out glaucoma.
- Interior examination of your eyes to rule out cataracts and macular degeneration.
If you are an “At Risk” adult, you are implored to schedule more frequent eye exams. Risk factors to look out for include:
- A history of eye disease in your family (macular degeneration, glaucoma, etc.).
- Health concerns such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
- A job that is visually demanding and could cause harm to the eyes.
- Side effects from non-prescription or prescription drugs.
- Injuries to the eye in the past or previous eye surgery.
At CHDC it is our mission to provide integrated care to the community we serve.
We have many resources to assist families in understanding health literacy and what you need to live a healthy lifestyle.
We all need good vision to function in life. Having your vision checked by a family eye doctor is just as important as going to the medical doctor, dentist and getting immunizations. If you live in Boyertown, Pottstown, or anywhere else in TriCounty and want to learn about our family eye care, discount medical dispensary, or any other services we offer, call us today!
To help make sure that your children are properly learning in school, it is recommended that children receive regular eye exams to detect any problems. At CHDC, our current eye doctor treats children ages 5 and above, but CHDC can also provide a referral if needed, to a pediatric eye doctor for children younger than 5 years old.
If your child has risk factors contributing to potential vision problems, you may need to schedule an eye exam from a pediatric eye doctor at earlier than 6 months. This also means that it may be necessary to go for frequent eye exams during your child’s early years.
Risk factors for children include:
- Low birth weight or family history of premature birth.
- Infections such as rubella, or diseases such as HIV occurring during pregnancy.
- Slow developmental process.
- History of eye disease in family.
- Crossed eyes or turned eyes.
Joel D. Messner, OD
Meet the Doctor
Dr. Joel Messner joins CHDC with over 30 years of experience practicing Optometry in both private and commercial settings. Dr. Messner owned and practiced Optometry at Family Eye Center in North Huntingdon, PA from 1984 – 2015.
We welcome Dr. Messner to Community Health and Dental Care and are pleased to have him as part of our team and community!
- Doctor of Optometry, Pennsylvania College of Optometry, 1982
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Pennsylvania State University, 1978
VIEW OUR VISION SERVICES BROCHURE HERE