Technician - Part Time
Reports to: Dispensary Supervisor
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Hourly 40 hours per week
Position Summary: Assists patients with filling medication prescriptions and provides appropriate Health Center related information.
General Purpose: To process prescriptions through the physician dispensing system under the direction of the Medical Director.
- High school diploma or graduate equivalent degree
- Pharmacy technician certification
- Prior experience in a pharmacy or medical setting
- Helps patients who are dropping off or picking up prescription orders.
- Enter prescription orders into the computer
- Create and update patient’s health and insurance information in the computer
- Dispense prescription medications under direct supervision, in accordance with local, state, federal, and company regulations
- Ensure patients eligibility for pharmacy program such as 340B
- Communicate with insurance carriers to obtain payment for prescription claims
- At point of sale, verify that customer receives correct prescriptions(s)
- Receive stock medications from contracted pharmacy, place order on shelves and verify associated paperwork.
- Prepare the pharmacy inventory and monitor expiration dates
- Process prescriptions and label pre-packed medications as per prescription directions.
- Communicate with prescribers and their agents to obtain refill authorization.
- Maintain an awareness of developments in the community and pharmaceutical fields that relate to job
- responsibilities and integrate them into practice.
- Assist in training other pharmacy personnel.
- Assist in scheduling and maintaining workflow
- Maintain knowledge of loss prevention techniques.
- Adheres to the organization’s mission, vision and values.
- Adheres to the organization’s policies regarding time and attendance.
- Complies with accepted dress code and maintains a professional image.
- Demonstrates reliability and trustworthiness.
- Manages time and other resources to meet established goals within the agreed upon time frames.
- Demonstrates flexibility in the acceptance and completion of work assignments.
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.
- Demonstrates a strong attention to detail.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge of computer operations
- Understanding of medical terminology and calculations
- Strong communications skills
- Knowledge of medication brand and generic names
- Knowledge of insurance and third-party payment systems
- Ability to respect confidentiality of patient data
- Professional demeanor