Reports to: Dental Director
FLSA status: Non-exempt, hourly
Unit Code: 300
Position Summary: The Dental Hygienist provides preventive and therapeutic dental services to patients within the scope of practice of Registered Dental Hygienists according to Pennsylvania standards. The Dental Hygienist also maintains proper dental records and timely completion of billing information.
- At least two years of post-secondary education from an accredited dental hygiene program required.
- Must be licensed to practice dental hygiene in Pennsylvania.
- CPR Certified
- At least one year dental hygiene experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to work with a diverse population and sensitivity to low-income populations
- Highly organized
- Computer proficient in office management software
- Attendance required at assigned CHDC site(s)
- Must generally be present during operating hours at assigned CHDC site(s).
- Must be available outside the health center’s normal business hours when necessary.
- Bilingual/bicultural preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Provides quality dental hygiene care in all venues through which agency personnel provide dental care.
- Assist with policy/procedure development in the dental department.
- Implement and adhere to the policies of the organization, as well as those of funding sources and third party payers.
- Attend all regular dental team meetings.
- Implementation of the dental department’s Quality Improvement Plan.
- Maintain cleanliness and infection control measures in the dental clinic.
- Maintain supply inventory for hygiene treatment.
- Work with front desk personnel to efficiently schedule hygiene patients.
- Seat and dismiss patients and set up operatories for procedures.
- Chart all patients, including date, service rendered, instruction given, treatment planning, medical history updates, etc.
- Perform clinical procedures within the scope of hygiene practice, including thorough and gentle prophylaxis, scaling, root planning and selective polishing when medically necessary, expose radiographs as prescribed by dentist, apply topical fluoride as appropriate.
- Provide patient instruction and demonstrate when necessary, as delegated by dentist.
- Maintain current CPR licensure.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Adheres to the organizations mission, vision and values.
- Adheres to the organization’s policies regarding time and attendance.
- Complies with accepted dress code and maintains a professional image.
- Demonstrates reliability and trustworthiness.
- Manages time and other resources to meet established goals within the agreed upon time frames.
- Demonstrates flexibility in the acceptance and completion of work assignments.
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.