Reports to: Patient Service Coordinator
FLSA status: Non-exempt, hourly
Unit Code: 300
OSHA Hazard Level: High
Position Summary: The Dental Assistant assists the Dentists in providing direct patient care, including both routine and emergency treatment, and maintains proper dental records and timely completion of billing information. The Dental Assistant also serves as back-up general clerical support to primary care teams and general customer service for health center patients and visitors.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of an accredited dental assisting program or equivalent dental assisting experience preferred.
- Must be certified to expose radiographs in Pennsylvania
- Medical or dental office experience or background required.
- Minimum of one year dental assisting experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of dental instruments, general dentistry procedures, and infection control
Programs strongly preferred.
- Attendance required at assigned CHDC site(s)
- Bilingual/bicultural preferred
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Ability to work with a diverse population and sensitivity to low-income populations.
- Legible handwriting for notation in patient charts.
- Highly organized.
- Computer proficient in office management software
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Assists Dentist in providing quality dental care in all venues through which agency personnel provide dental care.
- Assist with policy/procedure development in the dental department.
- Implement and adhere to the policies of the organization, as well as those of funding sources and third-party payers.
- Attend all regular dental team meetings.
- Implementation of the dental department’s Quality Improvement Plan.
- Maintain cleanliness and infection control measures in the dental clinic.
- Assist front desk staff as necessary in scheduling, telephone, and patient flow management.
- Seat and dismiss patients and set up operatories for procedures.
- Provide four handed assisting to the dentist during procedures.
- Assist with charting all patients, including date, service rendered, instruction given, treatment planning, medical history updates, etc.
- Perform clinical procedures as delegated by dentist, including screenings, preparation of lab cases, and exposing, developing, and mounting radiographs.
- Adheres to the organizations mission, vision and values.
- Adheres to the organization’s policies regarding time and attendance.
- Complies with accepted dress code and maintains a professional image.
- Demonstrates reliability and trustworthiness.
- Manages time and other resources to meet established goals within the agreed upon time frames.
- Demonstrates flexibility in the acceptance and completion of work assignments.
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.