Position Summary: The Phlebotomist is responsible for obtaining blood specimens from patients. Must be proficient in venipuncture. Phlebotomist must follow laboratory policy on proper identification of patients and handling of obtained specimen. Perform phlebotomy following standard procedures and protocols; collect and process samples and maintain specimen integrity from collection to transfer; interact with patients in a friendly and professional manner; create an atmosphere that is receptive to other’s thoughts and concerns in order to provide compassionate care between our patients and effective communication to employees.
• Arrange daily activities based on urgency of requests
• Assure that all collection instruments and environments are sterile and ready for use
• Maintain specimen integrity by using aseptic technique
• Ensure that the lab is stocked with adequate supplies
• Identify patients and their personal information
• Reassure patients and help them relax
• Answer patient questions and provide information as needed
• Determine the correct venipuncture method based on patient age and health
• Locate veins that are suitable for puncture
• Ensure optimal quality and quantity of samples
• Label samples correctly to send for testing
• Follow safety protocols regarding the storage and transportation of blood and the proper disposal of all equipment used in venipuncture
• Provide accurate documentation on fluid specimens and tests in the EMR.
• Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations
• Participate in educational opportunities and trainings
• Other duties as assigned
- Adheres to the organizations mission, vision and values.
- Adheres to the organization’s policies regarding time and attendance.
- Complies with accepted dress code and maintains a professional image.
- Demonstrates reliability and trustworthiness.
- Manages time and other resources to meet established goals within the agreed upon time frames.
- Demonstrates flexibility in the acceptance and completion of work assignments.
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.
- Demonstrates a strong attention to detail.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent; Certification from a phlebotomy training program required.
Experience: 2 years’ experience as a phlebotomist in a primary care setting or hospital preferred
Location: This position requires travel to, but not limited to all CHDC sites, including meetings, off-site retreats, conferences, workshops and outreach functions.
- This position requires compliance with Health Center’s written standards, including its Standards of Conduct and policies and procedures (“Written Standards”). Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the employee’s regular performance evaluation.
- Failure to comply with Health Center’s Written Standards, which may include the failure to report any conduct or event that potentially violates legal or compliance requirements or Health Center’s Written Standards, will be met by the enforcement of disciplinary action, up to and including possible termination, in accordance with Health Center’s Compliance Program Policy and Procedure: Addressing Instances of Non-Compliance Through Appropriate Disciplinary Actions.
Essential Skills & Experience:
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to analyze information
• Possess a strong attention to detail
• Possess procedural skills and focus on quality
• Skill in exercising initiative, judgment, problem solving, decision making
• Ability to build rapport and relationships with a diverse group of people
• Knowledge of Quality Improvement practices and standards
• Knowledge of FQHC requirements and regulations
• Familiarity with Patient Centered Medical Home concept
• Advanced computer skills with up to date EMR knowledge