Reports to Patient Service Coordinator:
The Dental Assistant assists the Dentists in providing direct patient care, including both routine and emergency treatment, and maintains proper dental records and timely completion of billing information. The Dental Assistant also serves as back-up general clerical support to primary care teams and general customer service for health center patients and visitors.
- Assists Dentist in providing quality dental care in all venues through which agency personnel provide dental care.
- Assist with policy/procedure development in the dental department.
- Implement and adhere to the policies of the organization, as well as those of funding sources and third-party payers.
- Attend all regular dental team meetings.
- Implementation of the dental department’s Quality Improvement Plan.
- Maintain cleanliness and infection control measures in the dental clinic.
- Assist front desk staff as necessary in scheduling, telephone, and patient flow management.
- Seat and dismiss patients and set up operatories for procedures.
- Provide four handed assisting to the dentist during procedures.
- Assist with charting all patients, including date, service rendered, instruction given, treatment planning, medical history updates, etc.
- Perform clinical procedures as delegated by dentist, including screenings, preparation of lab cases, and exposing, developing, and mounting radiographs.
- Adheres to the organizations mission, vision and values.
- Adheres to the organization’s policies regarding time and attendance.
- Complies with accepted dress code and maintains a professional image.
- Demonstrates reliability and trustworthiness.
- Manages time and other resources to meet established goals within the agreed upon time frames.
- Demonstrates flexibility in the acceptance and completion of work assignments.
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.
- Medical or dental office experience or background required.
- Minimum of one year of dental assisting experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of dental instruments, general dentistry procedures, and infection control
- Bilingual/bicultural preferred
Programs strongly preferred.
- Ability to work with a diverse population and sensitivity to low-income populations.
- Legible handwriting for notation in patient charts.
- Highly organized.
- Computer proficient in office management software
- Strong interpersonal skills
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of an accredited dental assisting program or equivalent dental assisting experience preferred.
- Must be certified to expose radiographs in Pennsylvania
- This position requires compliance with Health Center’s written standards, including its Standards of Conduct and policies and procedures (“Written Standards”). Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the employee’s regular performance evaluation.
- Failure to comply with Health Center’s Written Standards, which may include the failure to report any conduct or event that potentially violates legal or compliance requirements or Health Center’s Written Standards, will be met by the enforcement of disciplinary action, up to and including possible termination, in accordance with Health Center’s Compliance Program Policy and Procedure: Addressing Instances of Non-Compliance Through Appropriate Disciplinary Actions.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific functions (listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case-by-case basis.